I am sociologist and social anthropologist at Kassel University where I am heading the group „Sociology of Social Disparities“ since 2016. Being originally from Hamburg and having a background as a trained industrial mechanic, I have served more than ten years as a teamer in German-French exchanges for young apprentices for the German Workers Union (DGB) and German-French associations. Enriched by these political and professional experiences, my bonds with France had also a strong impact on my academic life. Other important influences are US-american pragmatism, comparative social and cultural anthropology, as well as science and technology studies (STS). I earned grants for research projects at the crossroads of social theory, human-environmental relations, biodiversity research, and social cohesion (DFG, BMBF, FMSH, DAAD). In 2011/12 I did an ethnographic inquiry on marine taxonomy at the Natural History Museum in Paris that led to a study of a large international biodiversity expedition in Papua New Guinea. Stemming from my implementation within the expedition, a newly discovered species was named after me. Before Kassel I have been appointed as a visting professor at the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (EHESS) in Paris, the Collège de France Paris, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, and as a fellow at the Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies in Erfurt. In 2017 I have completed my habilitation in sociology at Friedrich-Schiller Universität Jena. The book resulting of this major work on what I call “sociological experimentalism” was published in 2018.
Academic appointments and memberships
- Second Representative Deputy Speaker, Graduate Centre for Environmental Research and Teaching at Kassel University (GradZ) (GradZ)
- Appointed Member, Strategy Group Social Sciences in the German Marine Research Consortium KDM (KDM)
- Counsellor Professor for the Hans Böckler Foundation Hans-Böckler-Stiftung
- Member of the European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST)
- Correspondant Member of the Centre d’Etudes des Mouvements Sociaux, EHESS Paris (CEMS/EHESS/CNRS) (CEMS/CNRS/EHESS)
- Member of the sections Cultural Sociology and Sociology of the Environment, both part of the German Society for Sociology
On the next page find a summary on my academic CV in German and a full CV in English.