I am a social scientist and principle investigator of the DFG-funded research project “Experiencing Nature and Society. A Multi-Sited Inquiry of Marine and Ethnographic Field Science” at the Center for Sustainable Society Research (CSS) at Hamburg University. Being originally from Hamburg and having a background as a trained industrial mechanic, I have served more than ten years as a teamer in German-French exchanges for young apprentices for the German Workers Union (DGB) and German-French associations. Enriched by these political and professional experiences, my bonds with France had also a strong impact on my academic life. Other important influences are US-american pragmatism, comparative social and cultural anthropology, as well as science and technology studies (STS). I earned grants for research projects at the crossroads of social theory and analysis, transformation of the knowledge society, human-environmental relations, marine biodiversity research, and social cohesion (DFG, BMBF, FMSH, DAAD). I have been invited and appointed at the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (EHESS) in Paris, the Collège de France Paris, The Muséum national d’histoire naturelle (MNHN) Paris, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin; at New York University (Institute for Public Knowledge), the Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies in Erfurt. I hold a PhD in Sociology. In 2017 I have completed my habilitation in sociology at Friedrich-Schiller Universität Jena. The English translation resulting of this theoretical work on what I call “sociological experimentalism” will be published with Springer Nature in 2022. From 2016 until 2022 I have served as a visiting professor at Kassel University, where I have been heading the group “Sociology of Social Disparities”. I also have been involved in a one-day consultation procedure on the topic „planetary health“ organised by the German Advisory Council on Global Change (Wissenschaftlicher Beirat der Bundesregierung Globale Umweltveränderungen / WBGU).
Current academic memberships and services (selection)
- Member of the sections Social Theory, Cultural Sociology and Sociology of the Environment at the German Society for Sociology (DGS)
- Correspondant Member of the Centre d’Etudes des Mouvements Sociaux, EHESS Paris (CEMS/EHESS/CNRS) (CEMS/CNRS/EHESS)
- Co-chair, Association Science and Technology Studies in and through Germany STSinG.
- Member of the European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST)
- Co-Speaker, Strategy Group Social and Cultural Sciences in the German Marine Research Consortium KDM.
- Member of the Future Forum on the Ocean in the German Marine Research Consortium KDM.
- Counselor Professor for the Hans Böckler Foundation Hans-Böckler-Stiftung
On the next page find a summary on my academic CV in German.